St. Louis County Adoption Attorneys
Helping Your Family with the Adoption Process
The adoption process in Missouri can be quite complex without the assistance of an experienced attorney who knows how to navigate this type of family law matter. At Coulter Goldberger, LLC, LLC, we take a caring, yet focused approach towards helping families grow through the process of adoption. With our St. Louis County family law attorneys being rated among some of the best in the state, we can help you pursue the best type of adoption, all while meeting your specific and individual needs.
What Types Of Adoption Are Available?
The act of adoption involves taking over all of the legal, financial, and physical responsibilities for a particular child from their biological parent or adoption agency.
We can represent you in the pursuit of the following types of adoptions:
- Stepparent adoptions: This type of adoption involves a child’s step-parent taking over the rights and responsibilities of the child’s biological parent, whether that be the role of a mother or father.
- Adoption through an agency: This adoption process starts with a relationship between a birth parent and an adoption agency. Prospective adoptive families will work closely with the agency until they are potentially chosen by a birth parent.
- International adoptions: This process involves adopting a child from another country and requires working with an international agency.
- Private adoptions: This occurs when adopting families and birth parents locate each other through their own resources. This may include inter-family placement, adopting a friend’s baby, and other related circumstances.
Documents You Need To Begin The Adoption Process
In the state of Missouri, all families seeking to adopt must first submit a home study to first prove that they qualify for adoption. This process can take up to four months. Additionally, the Children’s Division will review your application and certain fees will be required.
You must also have the following documents ready, including:
- All medical history information
- Completed financial responsibility forms
- Criminal background checks
- List of personal references
Since there are numerous forms that must be filled out, abuse and neglect checks that will have to be made, home visits, and other complicated legal procedures, it is in your best interest to have a family lawyer to accompany you throughout the adoption process.
Call Our St. Louis County Family Law Firm For A Free Consultation
Even if you are simply considering the idea of adoption, contact Coulter Goldberger, LLC to discuss your options with our top-rated legal firm. With two offices in Clayton and St. Charles, do not hesitate to get in touch with our lawyers so that you can breathe easier knowing that they are handling the complex legal side of adoption process.