Thousands Of Missouri Families Helped
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Father’s Rights
  6.  » Establishing Paternity

Establishing Paternity in St. Louis County

Protect Your Fathers’ Rights; Call a St. Louis County Family Lawyer

Fathers’ rights are granted under Missouri law, but those wishing to exercise them may be required to legally establish their paternity. This can be done in several ways, including filing a written acknowledgement with the Bureau of Vital Records, placing your name on the child’s birth certificate, or having a blood test show that the probability of paternity is 98% or higher.

Even if you perform these actions to demonstrate your legitimacy as the father of a child, the other hostile co-parent may deny your ability to make decisions related to your child and your ability to spend time with your child. When this is the case, do not hesitate to contact a skilled St. Louis County family attorney. We can help you pursue the necessary court orders establishing legal and physical custody for your child. At Coulter Goldberger, LLC, our team recognizes the importance of protecting your ability to exercise your parental rights to contribute as a parent. We work tirelessly to help fathers maintain their parenting rights through effective legal solutions.

Let us help review your options; call Coulter Goldberger, LLC to schedule a consultation at 314-675-1065.

Steps To Establish Paternity

You may have seen the “do-it-yourself” DNA test kits that are available at many drug stores. While these can tell you whether or not you are the father, they are not accepted by the court as legally establishing evidence. Until the steps for proving paternity have been completed, your paternity will only be presumed.

You can voluntarily establish your paternity by:

  • Filing an affidavit stating you are the father
  • Placing your name on the child’s birth certificate
  • Request a written affidavit from the mother and file it with the court
  • Living with the mother and child as a family
  • Supporting the child regularly and continuously

However, these will only establish your status as the father if the mother agrees to your identity as the father. If she does not, you may be forced to undergo a court-ordered genetic test to prove your paternity, known as an involuntary establishment. This process may be highly-contentious; if you are facing resistance establishing your paternity, it is a good idea to retain legal advocacy for help with putting the law on your side.

Get help now! Contact Coulter Goldberger, LLC and let our lauded team represent you in family court.